IPPC International symposium on limiting the spread of contaminant pests
The Australian Department of Agriculture is calling for National Plant Protection Organizations (NPPOs) to nominate representatives to attend an IPPC International symposium on limiting the spread of contaminant pests to be held at the Pullman Sydney Hyde Park in Sydney, Australia from 3-4 March 2020.
We also encourage NPPOs to seek relevant industry or industry organisation participation.
The symposium will bring together representatives from IPPC and relevant industry organisations involved in international trade to discuss the issue of contaminant pests and foster collaboration between industry and government stakeholders on cost effective commercial solutions.
The symposium will inform representatives about the IPPC Commission on Phytosanitary Measures (CPM) recommendation on Facilitating safe trade by reducing the incidence of contaminating pests associated with traded goods that was agreed by CPM-14 to progress to CPM-15 (2020) as a draft for country consultation. The IPPC Strategic Planning Group (SPG) recently reviewed the recommendation at its October 2019 meeting.
Key objectives of the symposium:
- Raise awareness about the global spread of contaminant pests on goods and conveyances, including their effect on production and amenity.
- Highlight strategies employed by industry and international governments to limit the spread of contaminant pests, including lessons learnt.
- Facilitate discussion between industry and government representatives about improved container hygiene and pathway management.
- Encourage global stewardship for clean trade and collaboration among stakeholders involved at national, regional and global levels.
- The symposium will be held in English and participants will be expected to actively contribute to workshop activities and discussions throughout the event.
Nominate by 13 December 2019
If you previously nominated for the postponed September workshop, please re-submit your nomination for this new date to [email protected] by 13 December 2019. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Funding assistance & travel documentation
The organisation that employs an IPPC meeting participant is responsible for funding the travel and daily subsistence allowance for that person to be able to attend.
If the employer is unable to allocate sufficient funds, the Australian Government Department of Agriculture may be able to provide funding assistance to attend the symposium. The allocation of funds is limited. Funding criteria are attached for information. If formal documentation is required for Visa processing/travel approval or you would like to enquire about funding assistance, please contact [email protected].
More information on funding criteria is available here.
Acknowledgement: reproduced from an article by the IPPC